City Life- Skin, hair and nails care essentials
Skin is our largest organ, to take care of the skin you need to clean,nourish and pamper it. Skin care products which are used on daily basis should be used in the sequence of cleaning, toning and moisturizing.
• To clean face use a face wash, a coin sized bit is enough, use at least 3-4 times per day especially when coming from outside.
• Then comes the toner, it removes traces of oil and dirt. Toner in different from astringent, in summers when sweat is there we should use astringent, in winters use toners. To use both together is not necessary.
• Moisturize- more on dry areas like around lips and hands.
If you are going out then apply sunscreen, others skin care products like bleach and scrub should be used not more than once in 3 weeks, as frequent use can damage skin.
WRINKLES AND HOW TO PREVENT THEM.
Wrinkles are signs that passing time leaves on our face but if you know what causes them, then you can take precautions to slow their appearance.
• Sun exposure or photo ageing is the most common cause of wrinkling; always use a sunscreen with SPF 15-20 when out in sun.
• Insufficient hydration – dehydrated skin is dry and wrinkled skin, do take 8-10 glasses of water per day, in winter take special care as thirst is not there but skin still needs water.
• Imbalanced diet – eating right can solve most of problems. Proteins are building blocks of skin & hair, fish, Soya, leafy vegetables have Omega 3 fatty acids consumption delays ageing.
• Lack of physical exercise, overwork and fatigue decrease the ability of skin to heal itself.
Get out of hectic schedule give yourself time include meditation, yoga in life.
• Smoking, alcohol decrease skins resistance to infection; do avoid.
• Skin care products – the dictum of less is more always right. Use products for your skin type. Start anti ageing creams after 40 years of age only. Starting them at a younger age can make your skin more susceptible to wrinkling later in life.
Anti ageing is a concept which starts when you are young, eat right, exercise, use good quality skin care product but do not overuse.
Soft and shiny hair can become a distant dream if you are having a protein imbalance in the body which gets aggravated with stress, crash dieting and thyroid disease.
• Always wash your hair with a shampoo for normal hair as it has just adequate conditioner, never use treatment shampoos for regular washes.
• Always comb do not brush, the hair comb helps in spreading the oil being produced by us.
• Before a party to get volume in hair blow dry damp hair on medium heat, tilt your hair forward and dry, roots reverse drying gives volume.
• Use a homemade mask once a week – mash a ripe banana with few drops of almond oil and massage into roots, leave for 15 minutes, rinse with soda water and then shampoo.
• Get tests done to rule out anaemia & thyroid problem.
• Take a high protein diet, vegetarians should include Soya in diet.
Nails are made of keratin which is a protein, chipping and breaking of nails may reflect a nutritional deficiency and this is more common in women than men. Other causes which add to nail woes are exposure to detergents, frequent use of nail polish removers, and habits like nail biting and frequent nail filing.
• Maintain a high protein diet, add Soya at least once a week in the form of nuggets, Soya milk or tofu.
• Always use good liquid soaps for hand washing and on damp hands apply moisturizer regularly.
• Do warm olive oil soaks for nails for 5 minutes once a week with massaging
• Take supplements of biotin, which is vit B6 tab by name of BTN, one tab daily for 15 days.
• Avoid frequent use of removers, never use acetone to remove polish, do not leave nail polish especially darker colors on nails for longer times.
• When using detergents use gloves.
City life demands that we protect our skin by simply keeping it healthy. Never move out without skin care products like moisturizers and foundation, this is not make up, it is essential skin protection.
Dr. Shehla Agarwal,
M.B.B.S, M.D (Dermatology)
Director Mehak – The Derma & Surgery clinic